Ekana Millworks Ceiling Medallions come standard with a ready-to-install, double UV-protective white finish. You can customize your Medallion with latex or oil base paints, faux finishes, gold leaf, sponging, feathering or marbleizing techniques to create your own, one-of-a-kind masterpiece. If you decide to paint, stain or faux finish your Medallion, it may work best to do this before installation. This can speed up the project by preventing any spills onto the ceiling or surrounding wall.
|Other Materials and Tools You Need:||Safety glasses, screwdriver, polyurethane constrution adhesive.|
|Other Materials and Tools You May Need:||Ladder, tape measure, hole saw, caulk or wood filler, sandpaper, pencil, latex or oil-based paint. |
You may not need these materials, depending upon the type of Medallion you are installing any your desired result.
|Important:||When installing around or near any electrical fixture, make sure the power supply is turned off at the fuse box or circuit breaker. Be sure to follow local electrical and building codes.|
It may be best to finish your Medallion BEFORE installation.
If you decide to paint, stain or faux finish your Medallion, it may work best to do this before installation. This can speed up the project by preventing any spills onto the ceiling or surrounding wall.
1) If you are installing either a two-piece Medallion or one with a center hole pre-cut, skip this step and go directly to step two, below.
If you are installing a solid Medallion around a fixture, you need to make a center hole to match the base of the fixture. If possible, use the fixture base itself as a template. Otherwise, carefully measure the base of the fixture. Determine the size hole you will need to cut. Transfer your measurement to the Medallion, drawing a circle around the center point. Use a drill to make a starting hole. Using a hole saw, keyhole saw or jig saw, carefully cut out the opening.
2) Set your Medallion in place to check its fit. If installing around an electrical box, make sure there is enough clearance for any hardware connecting the box to your fixture. Tim to fit as needed.
3) Start trim head screws into the Medallion's front side, equally spaced around the outside of the medallion, staying 1"-2" from the edge. No pre-drilling is necessary. Place the screws in a detailed area, if possible. This will help to hide them.
4) For smooth ceilings and surfaces, apply a 1/4" bead of adhesive to the back of the Medallion about 1/2" from the edge. For textured ceilings and surfaces, apply the adhesive bead about 2" from the edge.
5) Put your Medallion into place and drive the trim head screws in so that they countersink to a depth of 1/8".
6) With a damp cloth, remove and blend any excess adhesive that squeezed out. Fill screw holes with caulk or wood filler and smooth or texture them as desired.
7) After the Medallion has dried in place for 2 hours or more, any minor imperfections may be sanded. You can then also finish the Medallion with any quality latex or oil base paint, etc.
Ekana Millworks Ceiling Medallions come standard with a ready-to-install, double UV-protective white finish. You can customize your Medallion with latex or oil base paints, faux finishes, gold leaf, sponging, feathering or marbleizing techniques to create your own, one-of-a-kind masterpiece.
8) A removed fixture should be reinstalled once any final finish has dried. Because some Medallions are thicker than others, you may need to use one of the longer threaded tubes in order to achieve the desired result.
Apply desired paint finish before installing. Minor touch up can be made once Medallion is installed. (Do not use lacquer based paints)
Cut Center Hole
If Medallion has no center hole drill hole in the center using a spade or twist bit. The hole should be large enough to allow wiring and threaded bolt (S) to pass through.
Before connecting wires (1) to power source, slip the Medallion over hanger bar or chain (2) of fixture. Screw the Medallion to the wallboard using trim head screws. Note: On plaster ceilings it may be necessary to use toggle bolts or hollow wall anchors. Pre-drill Medallion.
Connect fixture wires to power source and hang fixture according to manufacturer's instructions. Slide loop ring (4) up hanger bar and secure firmly in place, tightening loop ring. Canopy (3) is optional. Note: Because some of the screws supplied with canopy covers are not long enough to screw into the ceiling when a Medallion is used, you may need to purchase longer screws.
Countersink nails and fill with spackle. Use paintable caulk where the Medallion meets the ceiling. Prime, where necessary, and paint with any high quality latex or oil based paint.
Ceiling Medallions are a decorative element only, they will NOT support a light fixture or fan. <br> (Light fixture or fan must be securely supported by the ceiling, NOT the Medallion only.)
(Light fixture or fan must be securely supported by the ceiling, NOT the Medallion only.)
Check local electrical codes on the use of Medallions before installing.
When installing your Medallion over an existing fixture, disconnect and take the fixture down.
ALWAYS turn off the electricity at the fuse or circuit breaker box before installing, not just the switch.
Shop Ceiling Medallions by Craftmade, Elegant, Satco Products, Westinghouse and more in our on-line store.